How To Play Better Video Poker
Winning in video poker is not as daunting a task as you may think. Video poker games strictly follow the basic rules of Poker and the real strategy comes in when you must decide on what to keep and what to discard from your hand and when to simply fold.
Video Poker is a fast paced game and it is great for low stakes players. Following a basic strategy essentially ensures your success at the game. Memorise the basic strategy steps and see yourself become a video poker master.
Pick A Game And Stick With It
There are many video poker variants available at online casinos. They all offer unique rule sets and play variations that can keep things interesting. However if you want to be a successful video poker player, its best to pick one or two games and focus on mastering them.
You can play a few free play hands to get a feel for a specific title before you fully commit. Generally the Jacks or Better video poker variants offer players the absolute highest RTP, with most operating at a 99.5% Return to Player.
Additionally most video poker games offer great odds when played with the maximum amount of coins. This doesn’t mean you need to break the bank on each spin. Simply adjust your coin values to lower values, but always play with the maximum amount of coins allowed.
Memorise Poker Hands
You will find the game’s pay table displayed on screen at all times which is handy for figuring out where the hands rank, but knowing what each hand is composed of is up to you to learn. Memorising poker hand composition is essential for achieving any kind of video poker success.
This will help you judge which cards to keep and which cards to discard based on what is needed to achieve the best hands on each round.
Basic Video Poker Strategy
Since Video poker is basically deciding what to get rid of and what to keep, below is a basic guide of what to keep and what to discard for the most successful playing.
- Nothing of value means discard everything in your hand
- Keep One high card if that is all you have
- Keep any suited cards like a 10, J or K
- Any 2 unsuited high cards
- 3 cards on their way to making a straight flush
- Any 2 suited high cards like a Q or K
- Any 4 cards on their way to an outside straight
- A Low pair
- Keep your hand if it is 4 cards on their way to a flush
- 3 Cards to a royal flush
- Keep a high pair
- Keep a two pair
- Keep 4 cards with one needed for a straight flush
- Keep a Straight, a three of a kind, or a flush
- Keep any 4 cards on their way to a royal flush
- Keep a Full house or better
This basic strategy will quickly help you improve your video poker gaming.